View Single Post
Old 04-21-2019, 02:07 PM
M@rk Lu7z

Quote:
Originally Posted by pherbener View Post
Mark,

REA had a similar ticket listed last year with same price and tax breakdown as circa 1926. I haven't done a ton of research on these but I hope it narrows it down.

https://www.robertedwardauctions.com...y-early-negro/
Paul, the 1926 ticket from the REA auction is so similar to mine that I think mine is probably from that year or sometime close to it. On the back of my ticket, someone wrote PGH 8 Chicago 5. There was no game with that score in 1926, but the Pirates did beat the Cubs 8-5 in the first game of a labor day double-header in 1925. Cuyler had 4 hits--and the Pirates beat long-time Bucco Wilbur Cooper. Cooper joined the Bucs in 1912 and led their staff for a dozen years until he was traded away for the 1925 season. I recall Fred Leib (I think) writing that the saddest sight he ever saw was a forlorn Wilbur Cooper on the mound when he was losing a game to Pirates in 1925 because the Bucs were clearly on the way to the Series, and Cooper knew that he would not be with them. I use Wilbur Cooper as my NET 54 avatar as a tribute to the sad Pirate. Maybe this ticket is from one of the games that broke old Wilbur's heart. In any case, I am very happy to believe that I have identified the ticket.
thanks to all of you.

Last edited by Mark; 04-21-2019 at 02:52 PM.