View Single Post
Old 09-25-2021, 09:14 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanP View Post
You couldn’t just carefully put super glue around the edges? Actually, when I get back tomorrow I’ll give that a try and send a picture.
No that doesn't work. You can do a cool fingerprint experiment though. If you touch the inside of the slab and try to seal it with super glue your fingerprint will show up really well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
PSA scans all cards over certain dollar amounts, based on the service level. I think SGC started to scan all cards submitted. The level of slab damage and frosting on cards straight from grading companies is inconsistent, whether it be to damage during the slabbing process or shipping them back.

The "new" flip in the OP looks to be the previous generation of flips (gray bar, not lighthouse) which seem to still be used for large bulk submitters who get much cheaper prices, and maybe that's why the slab is not the "current" BGS-like slab which is supposed to not crack without significant evidence.
Sure looks like the new lighthouse flip to me. Either way I have cracked out a signed rookie Tony Oliva or Pete Rose, can't remember what one. In the new slab about a year ago with very little damage, it's not that hard.

For me it has gotten to the point as a collector to buy mainly raw cards. There are so many graded card scams going on you have to know as much if not more to safely buy graded. That is if you actually care about the card and not the flip.