View Single Post
Old 09-15-2020, 08:44 AM

I wasn't actually talking about the specific amount of days, rather the idea of immediately profiting off of someone's death. I don't know that there is an ideal specific amount of time to wait, because the general idea would still be the same if you're just waiting out of respect, but still have the desire to make extra money. I also don't have a stock of items specifically to sell, so I'm not the best person to ask. If I ran a business buying/selling cards, then I'd put more thought into how long to wait.

I just know that I personally avoid the initial desire to capitalize on death. It's not my first thought or even a thought in most cases. I know that for certain now because I do have a large lot of Tom Seaver cards I bought about 15 years ago with the idea to resell in smaller lots/individually and until I read this post, it never even crossed my mind to sell them.

I used to see that a baseball player had died, then check Ebay for the vultures, but I haven't done that in many years because I realized that it just annoyed me every time.

As I said though, it's all personal opinion and just because I feel a certain way, it doesn't make it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
You have to do what's right by you. You look in the mirror each morning and night, nobody else gets to see the reflection. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with your choice. However, 30 days is a long time to wait, although I'm not arguing with you. Death is not very respected in our culture. Individuals only get a MOMENT of silence, and then it returns to life as usual. I think even if you waited 7 days it would obviously set you apart from profiteers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS