View Single Post
Old 07-20-2019, 09:10 PM
Todd Schultz

I'm sorry that you're baffled. Let me make it easy--I will delete that from my post, as it added very little in the first instance.

My point was that it would be preferable to get the needed info as soon as possible, and to print three days of lineups if you can. That implies some sense of cooperation as its basis, so I was not implying anything sinister. Time was short in between games as far as printing deadlines go, and I foolishly considered a scenario where the opposing manager, after a long, hard-fought game, did not hurry or skip his shower to make sure that the other team's local press or public relations team got his lineup card for the following day as soon as possible. Somehow I can see that not being a priority in certain situations.
But I will defer to others with knowledge of how things were back then.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 07-20-2019 at 09:31 PM.