View Single Post
Old 08-04-2020, 10:59 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCollector1 View Post
Just got in another card for this display.
I knew all along I would snag one of these, as I think its one of the more "important" post war cards, and the only card to picture all three of these players together as far as I can remember. I know there's a few photos of them together, but not any cards other than this one, that I can recall offhand.
These are still relatively affordable cards, but expect a $300+ pricetag in PSA 8 or higher.

(I *DO* have a PSA 8 copy of one of these too, tucked away)
In fact, when I returned to the hobby a few years back, this is one of the first cards I went after. I think this is a "must have" for most post war collectors personally. Not terribly expensive, and a card featuring 3 of the all time greats.

- 1966 Topps batting leaders -

The centering isn't the best on this one, but the color is very strong in hand and ultimately that's why I bought it.
Anything behind glass , like this will be....... needs to have good color, and this one has it in spades.
Sooner or later I'll nab a scanner so I won't need to use these poor cell phone pictures, but you get the idea.

For a mere $39 + shipping, I thought it was a great pickup for this project, and it fits the bill perfectly.

Only room for 1-2 cards more, so I'm closing in on getting this one done too. Currently eyeing a decent eye appeal '57 or a '58.
If any of you guys have a raw '57 or '58 that might be something along the lines of what I'm looking for, feel free to drop me a PM.

Hopefully in the next few weeks I will finish this project and go back to my normal type PC pickups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCollector1 View Post
So I "bit the bullet" and ended up getting a card a bit lower (condition wise) that I like for these projects, but it really was the only way I could keep the budget down to something reasonable.

I nailed this about 5 days back, after sending what I thought to be a bit of a low ball offer.

- 1956 Topps -

I wanted to snag one very early Clemente for this project, and I had been looking at '57s and '58s. Ultimately I threw a "shot in the dark" offer on this one, and I was pleasantly surprised.
The crease is a bit distracting, and it has some very light scratches, but the color is pretty strong in hand.

Its not quite up to my usual standard, but I knew if I was going to keep the overall cost down, I would have to find this one a bit lower grade.
The light placing and glare from the overhead right side is doing it no favors, and kind of makes the crease stand out a bit more.

I actually got this one for roughly the same amount a lower-to-mid grade '57-'58 would run me, so I went this route as its one of my favorite Clemente cards.

I will add a higher grade example soon for my Clemente collection, and tuck it away.

Just about to wrap this one up.
I need to tinker with a few design layouts, and I think I only have room for one or two more cards at most.

On the back stretch now..............

I picked up a copy back a few years and was told then this is the only card with the 3 players on it.
I also purchased a 56 Clemente some time ago as well. Glad I purchased it when I did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clemente.jpg (75.5 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Roberto.jpg (79.0 KB, 57 views)