View Single Post
Old 12-20-2019, 09:17 AM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
Thanks for the input everyone. I do think that the one I just received has what Mark described: a bit of purposeful tapering at the tip. I knew that when I bought it. I figured that damaged tips must be common with these and I liked the Orange spine better for display. I never considered that the blunted tip on the other one might have been purposeful/original.

Hard to say how much might be missing from the tip of the orange spine pennant, but, the more I look at it (and after hearing from Greg), I don't think that this pennant was ever the same length as the one with the yellow spine. It is more narrow for the length of the entire pennant and it doesn't look like any other areas have been cut, including the orange spine. The stitching ends the same way top and bottom.

Overall, these pennants have a feel of being not the highest quality, so it makes sense that quality control was not the primary goal of the maker. Especially this maker.

Greg- do you have others with the more silky/sheen spine?

If they made SF Giants, they at least revisited this design around 1958. If so, it makes me wonder if there is an LA Dodgers version.
Marc, yes I have a few, if I correctly understand to what you are referring. Most pennants, even cloth ones, have a felt spine and tassels. I have some that are 100% cloth. Not sure if I have cloth spine on felt though. That's pretty cool.