View Single Post
Old 08-21-2020, 09:54 AM
Jonathan Sterling

I I certinly agree that prices for scorecards can vary wildly. Especially for scorecards from the 1880's. And many variables come into play. Attractive covers, Teams loaded with Hall of famers, A specific player Like Ross Barnes ( shout to Gary P) And advertising attached to Baseball card issues.
That said I think the Hunt example sold very well and the Rea example a little soft. But the market for early scorecards has risen considerably in the past 3 years or so. Examples from the 1870's which are very scarce ( especially with preprinted lineups) from both the National Association and the National leauge have increased substantially. And scorecards from the early 1900's that tend to have a variety of very attractive covers have sold very well an example is the Brooklyn 1902 that sold in REA. There is no price guide or vcp for memorabilia just auction results that might not have any relevant comparisons.
But there is enough evidence out there so that we know any baseball scorecard before 1910 is scarce. And examples come up sporadically and all it takes is 2 collectors who want the same scorecard to drive the sale. But for now collectors who a patient can pick up some really nice scorecards at reasonable prices.
I picked up this Giants program in the past year and The 1879 program with a Rookie Pud Galvin 5 years ago here on BST. And reading the scorecards and researching the games, I continue to learn more about Baseball and fans relationship to it almost 150 years ago. And that is part of the fun of collecting scorecards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15980247362176507236510002547202.jpg (76.9 KB, 245 views)