View Single Post
Old 08-20-2020, 10:07 PM
Joe Jesselli

Default 1888 Brooklyn Program, REA vs. Hunt...huh??

Auctions for two 1888 Brooklyn (AA) programs closed recently. First, an example in good condition sold over the weekend for $350 by REA. Then, yesterday a very similar program in considerably lesser condition hammered down at $1074 by Hunt Auctions. (Prices do not include buyers premium). Pictures of the two programs are below, the example with the tape being the Hunt offering. How do we explain triple-the-price for an item in lesser condition? My thoughts on a possible explanation:

1. Both contain great ads below the scorecard for Goodwin & Co. baseball card product. The REA ad is for N172 Old Judge cards. The Hunt ad is for N173 cabinet cards AND contains a reference to Gypsy Queens. Is it this ad, which contains greater detail, that gives the Hunt example the extra value? The REA ad, however, does pack a wallop graphically.

2. Is it something about the player shown on the cover lithograph of the Hunt example? Is he an identifiable player? Something to do with the catcher's mask?

3. On the REA program, the lineups of both teams are neatly pasted down over the original printed card. Does this devalue an 1888 baseball program? (In my opinion it makes it more interesting).

4. Is it something about the game itself, or a player in the lineup in the Hunt example?

5. The vagaries of auctions?

I'm thinking #5, but I may be missing something obvious. Can someone help me out here?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg huntprog.jpg (82.5 KB, 326 views)
File Type: jpg reaprogram.jpg (82.4 KB, 330 views)