View Single Post
Old 03-09-2022, 12:49 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

As far as gas prices are concerned, I think Americans have been spoiled for a long time when they go to fill up their large SUV's. I lived in the UK for nearly 20 years over two different time periods and wept every time I filled up my modest small car. When I left London in 2013 and returned to the hobby, a gallon of regular cost around $15 a gallon. Most of this, of course, is tax and, of course, our politicians don't dare talk about raising the gas tax. And, I believe until recently, Britain was a net exporter of petroleum thanks to their vast North S oil reserves. This awful war in the Ukraine is going to pound the Western European economies as their energy imports become even more dear.
I can't help but wonder, now that the US has cut off Russian oil, whether we could make up our shortfall from our nice neighbor to the north, Canada? Better than Venezuela (ugh) or Iran (double ugh).
I believe pre-war should hold its value unless the war widens, while I see '60's and 70's vintage under pressure. How modern basketball and all those red hot NFL quarterbacks end up is anyone's guess. If everything falls apart at least we still have our cards.