Thread: Military Vets?
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2020, 06:01 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
What are enough thanks for someone who keeps you and your family safe? I don't know, but this is a great chance to say thank you in an unusual setting. A football injury kept me out of Vietnam. I'm was not at all sorry about it then, and am not now. However, I do know that the military experience would have helped me in my life, assuming I had made it through, and I am sorry about that. I hope this isn't too political, but I firmly believe that there should be a universal draft for two years service to the country, military or otherwise, draftee's choice. And since this is a sports collecting board, I'll also opine that all military displays--including the National Anthem--should be reserved for more appropriate occasions than sporting events--like today! So have a wonderful Independence Day, everybody, one thing I know we can all agree on is what a wonderful country we have and how lucky we are to have had so many talented young men who chose to defend her with their lives over all these years.
Hi Hank,
I agree with you about the mandatory two years service. I remember that many of my comrades in the military were the results of some bad decisions, and the judge gave them the choice of 3 years in jail or 3 years in the military. I wish that was still happening.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.