View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 10:37 PM
Administrator

Default Help with Antique Baseball (I think I killed it)

Posted By: ZCollects

Looking for some advice, looks like I screwed up my baseball pretty bad. I've posted this on other sites but figured this was a good place too. I have a game-used Official AL Harridge baseball that had a thick coat of lacquer. I stripped most of the lacquer but I couldn't get the shellac from inside the laces and some spots.

Then I decided to try and get it off the stamping, and I was very careful. I sampled one letter on the last line and it tore it right off (U.S.A. is now U.S.). Lesson learned, but now I have this fugly looking thing. It looked 10X better shellacked. I later tried to sand down over the Reach logo very lightly. I'm a moron. Started to wear the logo off a bit.

So I'm thinking I should reapply lacquer and try to even it out. Any recommendations on how to match the current color? Any other potential fixes to make it look half decent again? Check the pic, and thanks for looking. I probably stripped the surface coating that was colored by toning or mud rub, so I don't see how any new lacquer coating will match it without more natural toning and mud, or some staining product.

I'm an idiot/
[IMG][linked image][/IMG]