View Single Post
Old 06-16-2020, 12:42 AM
Scott M.@.r.k.s.

Default So I started a Roberto Clemente "project".....

Yep, thats right.
Some of you asked me if I was going to do a Clemente project after how well my "Mickey Mantle project" turned out so nice and crisp after getting it framed.

(If you missed that thread, it is located here ~~~~~~~> https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=271449)

I was so happy with it, and after being able to truly "enjoy" my project and not have cards just " locked away somewhere"....... I debated for just 3-4 days and I quickly decided to start a ROBERTO CLEMENTE PROJECT.

Now, it will obviously be different and once again I am sure not everyone will agree with my choices for cards.
If you followed my last thread, you know the drill.
I'm essentially shooting for solid eye-appeal cards, that won't break the bank. More overall appeal , not necessarily "perfectly centered", nor "4 razor wire sharp corners", but cards that look solid yet are still affordable. Like last time, I actually don't want anything minty fresh, but I want something that presents like actual vintage cards. No reprints allowed.

The good news is, this should be cheaper than my Mickey Mantle project and thats one of the reasons I should finish this one much faster. I did have a few life issues get in the way on the Mantle, and of course the worldwide pandemic threw a massive spanner in the works last time as well.
I eventually got it done and it turned out beautiful. (finished framed pictures are near the end of the Mantle project thread, linked above)

I likely won't have a Clemente rookie for monetary reasons, but I will try and include 1-2 of his early cards, depending on what I can sniff out and dig up in my looking over the next month or two. I am almost certain to include a '57 Topps. Those '57s were beautiful, and you can find a low grade example more reasonably than you might expect.

If anyone happens to have any lower end Clemente cards that they feel may fit right in, feel free to shoot me a P.M. I just *may* have interest if its something I feel will be appropriate as I begin to gather items for this.

SIDE NOTE - I believe the Mantle display was 36X48, although I would have to look back to verify the exact measurements.
Most likely, instead of making this one vertical like the Mantle, I'm going to make this one horizontal instead. There are a couple reasons for this, but if I land the autographed item I have been looking at, I believe it will look better if I make this layout horizontal rather than vertical.
I'm also debating on using a brown , or even a burgundy matte on this one, and not the green again..... though that green turned out really nice and clean.
Taking the colors on his cards in consideration ( in Clemente cards, a LOT of black, and gold for the Pirates colors are used) the burgundy might be the way I go....I'm really not sure yet and will definitely lay a bunch of it out at the shop with various colors and proceed from there.
Regardless, I will continue to tinker with the layout and how I want it to look as time passes..... and that will definitely be impacted by how many cards I want to include. (and whether or not I get the one autographed item I have been looking at)

So let us begin.

Successful deals with - "HCV123"/Howard Chasser, "ejstel" , "mzljapan" , "aronbenabe" , "Santo10Fan" , " Robextend", "rjackson44", "Wanaselja", "eliminator", "Dboneesq" , "Oneofthree67", "Lucas00", "ccre" , "D. Bergin" and several others.

Last edited by DJCollector1; 06-16-2020 at 12:43 AM.