View Single Post
Old 04-21-2009, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Default Does SGC know how to authenticate photo content?

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Seems like whoever it was that presented the incorrect information (presumably the consignor) should bear some responsibility here as well. Who presented the identification "evidence" and did they present it to SGC via REA, or directly to SGC themselves?

My experience with both REA and SGC is that both have been very good about making it right when there's been a mistake. That's been my personal experience. Not sure if that's how it is for everyone else, but from what I've seen, I think it is.

Is the consignor as good at making it right when there's been a mistake? I guess that's between the auction house and the consignor.

Everyone makes mistakes and sometimes people legitimately misidentify a player they believe to be someone else. Still, in an ideal world we'd be able to know who is responsible for ID errors like this. One mistake is just a mistake. Everybody gets a mulligan. But if it's a pattern where the same person repeatedly misidentifies players, especially in photos they are trying to profit from, it would be nice to know that. It would also be nice to have the power of flight (that's levitation, holmes) or invisibility, but all of those things are merely fantasies.

Also, are we sure it isn't Josh Gibson? I think it might be. I also think there's a strong resemblance to Joe Jackson. Perhaps it is Ty Cobb dressing up like Joe Jackson pretending to be Josh Gibson pitching. Man, think of all the money the consignor left on the table by only identifying it as Wilkinson!

-Ryan