View Single Post
Old 01-29-2024, 10:12 AM
Hank Thomas

Nice picture of Larry. Never seen that card before, makes me wonder if he ever got one or even knew. As for memorabilia, the royalty checks from Ritter to the players, of which the original universe has to be in the several hundreds, are great, and pop up from time to time. Value would depend on the player and their endorsement. And Larry did sign a quantity of "Glory" copies, including that entry in a set of famous baseball books that came out sometime in the 90s, but unfortunately without dust jackets. I've seen those go for cheap. There are the two record albums that came out in 1966 in promotion of the book, produced by Larry from the original tapes and issued by his publisher, MacMillan. One of those is a gorgeous "gatefold" edition typical of that golden era of LPs. When Neal McCabe and I worked with Larry on the four-CD audio set of "Glory," I of course got Larry to sign everything I had collected as a fan of the book, and my file of correspondence with him, mostly in the course of producing that set in the mid-90s, is one heck of a collectible all its own. As for the Little Sun card, I think if more collector fans of GOTT knew about it, it would have achieved some status in the hobby. And the legend of Larry and "Glory" will only grow in time, I predict.