View Single Post
Old 09-01-2023, 09:02 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
I understand your perspective, but disagree.
The reality is that most people not into this are not going to take the time to sell card by car or photo by photo on eBay. The only way slabbing now protects them is if they sell each item themselves. Hell, I don't want to do that now and I like this stuff. I can't imagine my wife or daughter, neither of whom give even the tiniest of crap about any of it, would spend the time and energy listing on ebay or here or blowout, COMC or any other spot similar. Nobody wants to be responsible for setting prices, negotiation, photographing, writing up listings, shipping, and then dealing with whatever percentage of bad buyers they would need to. It's too much hassle.

The probability is that they will consign our stuff to an auction house. Being that the auction house wants to make as much money as possible, They will be very motivated to slab/cert an item if its going to increase the sales price significantly enough to make the cost worthwhile. They will guide the consignor on which ones are worth certing/slabbing and which ones aren't.

I care very much about my heirs, as you do about yours, and so have created an arrangement with a large auction house. My family has a phone number they will call if/when it's my time. They will come, pick everything up, slab/cert what's worth doing and sell it all. They will then send my family a check for the proceeds. Negotiated a rate for different item types and it's done. No muss, No fuss...no extra money spent now certing things, so I can use those funds to buy more stuff.
This is a great approach, Mark! I may have to look into it. Although my collection is not as high end or historical as yours, there is some good stuff in there.