View Single Post
Old 12-19-2019, 11:44 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Steve,

Thank you so much for posting this Zanidakis article. I couldn't read it on my desktop at first, but then I looked at the pages on my wife's iPad, with the brightness turned all the way up, and I managed to read the whole thing pretty quickly. It's an amazing piece of work and it answers so many of my questions.

Did you actually read these baseball card magazines back in the 1980s? Are there any other interesting articles you have? If so, I would love to read them! Please PM me.

G1911 (what's your name, dude?)

I found this interesting paragraph in the Zanidakis article posted above:

Usually, the later series were not printed or sold in as high a quantity as the first few series, because the novelty of the new set would have worn off by mid-summer OR the cards would be competing with football cards on the store shelves.

Zanidakis has listed two possible explanations as to why Bowman would short-print their high numbers. This takes us back to my earlier question, and that is how early did Bowman start printing their football cards? Bowman started printing their baseball cards during the same month the 51' baseball season started, which was in April, but it looks like they did not do this with their football cards. In other words, Bowman issued their football cards way before the football season even started.