View Single Post
Old 11-11-2022, 04:35 PM
Bob C.

This thread is about underrated "hitting" seasons, and one common recurring theme seems to be that unless your focus is on home runs, no one seems to care or pay much attention anymore. There are a lot of great hitters (and overall great players) who don't seem to get the credit they deserve because they're not bashing tape measure home runs all season long. Sad commentary on the state of the game.

And that Cobb story is a great example of how great hitters can be easily put down by others just because they don't focus on hitting home runs. Mentioned that same story to a Ruth fan here on the forum once before and got crap from them, accusing me of saying Cobb was better than Ruth and basically making fun of Cobb, and myself, for daring to somehow show up Ruth. I've always felt there's a huge difference between someone who doesn't do something because they can't do it, and someone who doesn't do something because they choose not to. And to go along with that Cobb story, don't forget Cobb hit those five homers over two games at the age of 38. A little past his prime, wouldn't you say? And also don't forget Cobb has a Triple Crown to his credit, something else Ruth failed to do at any time in his career.

To be a great hitter you at least need tremendous eyesight, hand-eye coordination, and bat speed. Having strength and power are great, but if you can't first get the bat on the ball, all the power and strength in the world (including that generated by PEDs) isn't worth squat. I remember at an early age being told hitting a baseball is one of the hardest things to do. You've got a round ball, and a round bat, and all everyone tells you to do is hit it squarely.