View Single Post
Old 11-09-2022, 05:28 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampertb View Post
If this is not the epitome of water cooler talk, then I don't know what is.

In 1947, Johnny Mize became the only player in MLB history (he still is) to hit 50+ homers while striking out fewer than 50 times. DiMaggio didn't, Gehrig didn't, etc.

However, that's not as impressive as Klu. In 1954, Ted Kluszewski hit 49 dingers, only 1 away from the magic number of 50... and he only struck out 35 times. Especially relative to today's MLB approach at the plate, that's incredible!

I guess all this talk about HOF-worthy players in other threads has me thinking about Klu. His career numbers are not Hall-worthy, but that particular season was ridiculous. He lost out to Say Hey Willie in the MVP voting, but that's probably only because the Giants went to the Series while the Redlegs were lousy. Incredible hitting.
If you're a fan of Klu, be sure to check out the thread on the main forum, OT: The '56 Cincinnati Reds on What's My Line, if you haven't already seen it. Links to an episode of the show the Reds team appeared on, and Klu is the spokesman and does all the talking. Shows a young and skinny Frank Robinson as well.

Last edited by BobC; 11-09-2022 at 05:30 PM.