View Single Post
Old 08-20-2021, 07:46 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
I keep an eye on all of these things, but hardly any of them cause problems for me because I rarely use the grading services, I don't collect modern cards, I rarely buy new packs or boxes, except for gifts for my grandchildren, and I have no interest in a T206 Honus Wagner card.

I keep plugging along collecting my low grade tobacco cards and collecting a few vintage non sports sets. My eBay sales, (mostly low grade, low cost items), have hit a new yearly high, and it is only August. The sales in my Flea Market booth have been insanely great, and so far this year, I have had a lot of fun going through the 750,000 cards that I was able to purchase.

It has been a great year in the hobby, as far as my little niche is concerned. And, tomorrow, my wife and I are taking 4 of my grandsons to the card show in Wisconsin Dells.

So, to me, the things that you mentioned in your post are just noise in the background.

Rick
That is super Rick, glad you're doing so well. This change from Topps and Panini no longer having a license to produce sports cards in a few years really only has a huge direct impact on the modern card market going forward. Not so much vintage, and especially not pre-war. And since you don't really get involved withe TPGs, all that nonsense shouldn't bother you much either. I would guess for you, any possible impact would be much more (years) down the road if these changes start turning younger collectors away from taking over from oldtimers as they eventually leave the hobby. Doubt that would ever completely happen though, and if anything, can see some of these current/future issues actually turning more younger, modern collectors to vintage and pre-war cards more than ever.