View Single Post
Old 01-12-2022, 05:19 PM
Chris Kim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Seefeldt View Post
Holy Cow! I just read the old thread regarding the Red Hindu Cobb in a PSA 4 holder...

I was the one who consigned it to REA. I went through a nasty divorce in 2008 and I had to sell off all my collection in 2007 & 2008 as most of my liquidity was tied into the cards, photos, and postcards. You may recall the e125 set in REA in 2007 as well as several Boston Garters (locker room series) and a complete m110 set, Victory Cobb, etc... man o' man, divorce sucks!

I got out of the hobby after the divorce but kept 1 card, the Red Hindu Cobb. I ended up selling it in REA a year or 2 later to help a friend who's business needed money.

But I was not back into the hobby until 2016 or so. I would purchase a card here or there through auction but didn't consider myself "reactivated" until about 2016.

I did not look at Net54 for several years after the divorce and had NO idea the Red Hindu caused that much controversy until just now, reading the above post. I bought it at a Chicago Sun-Times show from a dealer who was from California, I do not recall his name. A year or so after I sold it Lifson did tell me that there were many questions regarding the cards authenticity, etc.

Was the card real? I have no idea. I never owned the card before it was graded, didn't have a chance to properly evaluate it myself (the ol' smell test never failed). It was in a slab BUT I had bought a PSA graded Cobb bat on & a PSA Cobb green (both with regular Hindu backs, not red) a few years earlier... they both turned out to be fake, re-backed. Fortunately, I got my money back as I paid $10K for the 2 which was a ton of money back then.

Leon, thank you for not revealing me as the consignor. Yes, I did back out of the deal for the Red Hindu Cobb with you but I do recall you still got my d304 Martens Cobb? I give you 100% respect for keeping me anonymous. Many many thanks.

Unfortunately I cannot afford 90% of the cards I sold back then, they've just taken off out of reach.

Thx for sharing your story. OMG, you really have bad luck buying fake PSA graded Cobbs? not just one, but two?? I am happy you got your money back.