View Single Post
Old 07-07-2014, 06:04 PM
Jake Cornwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethicsprof View Post
welcome aboard!
great to have a baseball historian and scholar with us.
are you going for the PhD after the MA?

all the best,
barry
Barry (ethicsprof), thanks for the welcome! Yes, I plan to pursue my PhD afterward. I have an American Studies background, but I am currently pursuing my MA in History with a focus on Public History. After I achieve my degree, I hope to continue into the field of Public History and Historical Preservation. Right now I am looking at various universities that offer such programs. American University in D.C. looks appealing with their film and digital programs, but time will tell if I find another place with similar programs closer to home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
HH, it was a university professor who initially informed me that if I used the pc term 'Native American' around Indians they would probably laugh at me.
Scott, you know, I'm sure it's a personal preference. One of my college mentors is a well-known Native American historian, L.G. Moses. He uses all three regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
A very warm welcome to the forum, Jake.

That's quite an interesting thesis you are developing. I think you'll find that Net 54 is a veritable treasure trove of artifacts and knowledge. I know there are several members interested in the history of the Negro Leagues, myself included.

I wish you much success in your continued research.
Bill (the 'stache), thank you. It looks like Net 54 will be one of my cyber haunts now. I am glad to find a group of people who share the same passion for baseball that occurred during its golden eras. I chose my username because I feel like baseball as a whole drastically changed right around the time when MLB went to cowhide baseballs in the early 1970s.