View Single Post
Old 01-15-2021, 12:47 PM

Default Problem: 1996 SPX Golds incorrectly listed?

Hi,

First off I am a huge fan of the 1996 SPX cards. I think they are one of the best sets from the nineties. However, I am noticing a recent influx of regular base cards being listed on ebay as Golds.

The Golds were really rare. They were a hobby exclusive product so you didn't find these at Walmart, lol. Each pack only had one card, and retailed between $3.50 and $4 back in 1996. It was around a 1:7 pack odds, and since the sets ranged from 50-100 cards depending on the sport, it could be frustratingly difficult to get the guy you wanted or even worse to complete a set. Once ebay came around and it became easier for us to get cards, I was able to realize dreams I had as a kid to complete many parallel and insert sets from the nineties, including this one.

However, because of the influx of interest in the hobby I have been also noticing a lot of inaccurate listings on Ebay that can really hurt confidence in the market. Today, I was browsing auctions and saw the a auction listing for a 1996 SPX gold Jordan that was PSA graded as a Gold but was obviously a base card.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-97-SPx...MAAOSwZeBgAHOj

It seems pretty obvious, but wonder how this one slipped by PSA? Also, should it be auctioned as mislabeled? Thoughts?