View Single Post
Old 11-01-2020, 03:42 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

[QUOTE=Tomi;2030811]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wid_Conroy View Post
i keep seeing these GOAT arguments around competition for Gretzky. To me it's not even a discussion. Gretzky shattered the points and assists records by such a long-shot that his goal breaking records are an afterthought, and often overlooked. He has more career assists than any other player has total points! Think about that. On top of this, he is also the greatest goal scorer. What more are you looking for, lol.

I guess we see a GOAT in different ways. You see the GOAT as someone who scored the most points. I see a GOAT as someone who does EVERYTHING. Orr is the only player in the history of the sport who was the best defenseman and offensive player of the year. What are you going to say if Ovechkin breaks his goal record? He has a legit shot.
Not at all. it's not that Gretzky was the best scorer, it is that he completely shattered what was normal in the game, completely dominated. When you get 2.5 points a game, which was freakish, frankly you don't really need elite defense. creating that many goals puts your team in a position to win 99% of the time. Please don't get it twisted, this is very different than a James Harden type in the current NBA. Harden might score the most, but he is no where near an outlier in what he does.

wrt to Ovechkin, back to my original point.... Gretzky produced so many total points, that his goal-scoring is actually overlooked. it was an afterthought. It's almost if he effortlessly became the greatest goal scorer this game as ever seen. If he ends up 2nd all time in goals, It won't make a difference.
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236