View Single Post
Old 05-19-2023, 09:45 AM
Bob C.

I've been using the old SCD Vintage Catalog as my checklist for type cards/items up through 1980 for years now. Similar cut-off year/period as you are using. Figure to try and see how far I can go to get at least one of every item/set listed in those SCD vintage catalogs. An obvious impossible task to ever fully complete at 100% as some of the items/sets listed are so rare and scarce, you'll never come across any for sale. And even if you're ever lucky enough to find one of these uber-rare type cards/items for sale, it is usually so ridiculously expensive you'll never be able to afford it.

Also work on many different pre- and post-war sets as well, particularly the more obscure, less well-liked/collected sets. What with the recent pandemic price surge in many card prices for most all the pre-war superstar/HOFers, finishing many of those early pre-war sets that included Wagner, Cobb, Jackson, and other such player cards/items in them, the cost of acquiring such player cards/items to finish many of these pre-war sets has gotten out of reach for the more average collectors. So, seeing there are now many sets I'll likely never finish, it is still nice to be able to work on the type card side of my collection, and can still find many, many cards/items at relatively inexpensive prices. I don't worry much about condition, and will take a common, low condition card/item as a type card, especially if talking about some of the rarer, early pre-war sets to begin with.

And there are likely many collectors on this forum that are type card collectors as well, whether it be for all cards/items, like myself, or maybe just for a specific team, player, or even a year or era. So as Leon said, go ahead and post on the front main forum pages for the cards/items in the specific era(s) you're talking and asking about (pre-war, post-war pre-1890, post-war post-1980) and you'll get plenty of eyes and responses. Even pre-war collectors that only focus on the stars/HOFers, and/or maybe only rookie cards, more from an investment than a true collector standpoint, are actually a form of type collector as well, even if they don't think of themselves that way. At the end of the day, I think you'll find that most pre-war collectors are at least some variant/form of a type collector at heart. You pretty much have to be unless you're wealthy and can afford some of the crazy prices for certain cards these days to finish sets. LOL Good luck with your collecting.

Last edited by BobC; 05-19-2023 at 07:18 PM.