View Single Post
Old 10-22-2021, 06:45 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
Thanks, I love Manny as well. He is a treasure. I always thought he would be an awesome and entertaining guest on Intentional Talk with Kevin Millar. I spoke with him at length a few weeks ago. He is warm, engaging, and funny. He is a great ambassador for the game. He shared some hilarious stories about partying with Roberto Duran in Panama. It is always special when your childhood heroes exceed your expectations in real life. Recently I have been fortunate enough to hang out with a couple of them and feel blessed to have had those opportunities. It’s been very cool experience befriending a few of the men who were the X-Men of my youth.
That is awesome Mike!

I loved Manny too. He got down lower than any catcher in the game and was just a treat to watch play. Really unique in that he was always smiling ear to ear, and appeared joyous just to be playing the game.

And he swung at everything, including pitches that would bounce 4 feet in front of the plate. I'll never forget seeing him lash a single to left-center off of a bounced pitch.

One game-used item that I've always dreamed of acquiring is a Manny Sanguillen Batting Helmet. For some reason, his helmet was coated in velvet while the rest of the team wore the traditional hard fiberglass. What a great character and exciting player he was. Very cool that you got to meet him!