View Single Post
Old 10-15-2022, 04:58 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
I believe Jose Ramirez was technically considered a rookie even though he debuted, the year before. I think he's on his way to the Hall, barring a major career downturn. He's already accumulated 40 WAR. Still stealing bases at a decent clip as well.
+1 on Jose! Has all the tools for a 5' 9" guy.

He got called up on 9/1/13 when they expanded the ML rosters, and only had 14 plate appearances in the 15 games he appeared in that season. So, I believe you are absolutely correct, and he isn't considered a rookie till 2014. In 2013 he clearly was on the ML active roster for less than 45 days, and had nowhere near 130 at bats.

A 4-time All-Star, 3-time Silver Slugger recipient, and has received MVP votes in 5 seasons, including two 3rds and one 2nd place in the MVP voting, so far. And those figures don't include SS or MVP results for 2022 yet. He's had 5 seasons so far where he's been in the Top Ten for WAR, and he's got the 26th highest total WAR of all active players, despite only just turning 30 last month. And he even led all of MLB with intentional walks this season.

Still, the HOF might be a reach without a lot more great years from him. Most every position player ahead of him on the active WAR list have more years played than Jose, except maybe for Betts and Arenando, who are both comparable in age and seasons played to Ramirez. Yet both are double digits ahead of Ramirez in total WAR. A great player, nonetheless.