View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 07:02 AM
Jason Presley

Default OT - 1993 Topps R&N China Porcelain cards

According to the 2003 Standard Catalog, R&N China produced the entire 1993 Topps set in porcelain, 5000 each for the milestone cards (multiples of 10) and 1000 each for all the rest. I've only been able to track down evidence of about 30 or so (a surprising mix of stars and commons) on eBay and the auction house sites and was wondering if anyone remembers how these were originally solicited?

I've seen magazine ads for the original "Dream Team" set, the Mantle set and the Ryan set, but I've never seen any advertising material relating to the 1993 Topps set. Four of the players I collect would be in the set, but I'm getting the impression that a relatively small quantity of those produced actually made it into circulation, otherwise I would expect to see more copies of the Derek Jeter draft pick card in circulation (I've only seen one, so far).

Does anyone have any information on these or know if there is some dealer/collector that managed to hoard a large number of them? Mentioning this set on a couple other boards, there is sort of a common notion that the entire set wasn't really produced and that possibly R&N China only produced them to order (I'm not sure how feasible that would be) not expecting 1000 orders for the likes of Mark McLemore or Charlie Hayes.

Last edited by DaClyde; 08-31-2017 at 05:20 PM.