View Single Post
Old 05-16-2022, 09:31 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
First off, I appreciate everyone coming out and responding. I'll try to cover all of my bases here. As my username suggest, my main collecting focus is Mickey Mantle. I've always had a goal to put together a playing days run of his career. This is more or less accomplished at this point. While I'm holding off on a couple of cards due to bills at the moment, the only significant Mantles I do not own are the 51 Bowman and 52 Topps. I don't own the 53 Topps at the moment either, but that's something that I can realistically see myself having in the next two years.

I've thoroughly enjoyed this passion project, it went from bonding with my father, to taking on a life of its own. I've certainly collected other cards along the way, but Mantle has always been my focus. Through Net54 I was able to discover some of my favorite alternate issues as well, as I fell in love with the 52 Berk Ross and the 54 Red Heart, both of which sit in my collection now.

I think I'd want to shift to player rather than sets, but I'll really consider everything at the moment. Hornsby was another player I've thought about, Frank pointed out Musial as another great player to collect too.I would eventually love to own a Ruth or a Cobb, that becomes harder and harder as the years pass though, and I unfortunately cannot live in my cards (though I wish I could ) Thanks for all the input so far. I'm definitely trying to figure out who/what I'd enjoy collecting next!
The Berk Ross set seems to be on the move, as evidenced by recent auction results. the Jackie is on fire with a PSA 9 reaching nearly $65K in the last Heritage roundup.
the '51 Musial is the only mainstream card of Stan that year. No Bowman and no Red Back. Glad I have one.