View Single Post
Old 05-14-2022, 12:37 AM
Bob C.

Another idea I've done a couple times with a binder is to use a copy of the set(s') checklist instead of a cover sheet. I would copy pages from the old Krause/SCD catalogs, and just cover over the portions of the page that weren't part of the checklist I was interested in. That way, if showing it off to someone, you had the SCD catalog description of the set to show them what the set/cards were all about, and the checklist to show all the different cards/players in the set and for ease in looking up or locating specific players or cards in the binder then.

I could only do this for smaller vintage and pre-war sets, where the checklist would fit on one page. You couldn't do this for binders with the main Topps annual sets in them, took up multiple pages so you couldn't fit it all on just the cover.

Also, if some of the cards in one of my sets was acquired already slabbed and graded (because I couldn't find a raw version first), I generally leave the cards encapsulated in their holders (for card protection and preservation purposes), but have a color copy of the front and back of the slabbed card(s) made, and then cut them out to put in the binder with the rest of the cards in the set. That way there's no holes in the set in the binder, and you can quickly see which cards are separately stored in graded card holders. You can also copy the flip from the TPG holder and cut it out to insert in your binder pages as well. That way you not only know a card in your binder was a graded card, and separately stored, but you can also see who the TPG was, and the grade it received. That could make finding a specific graded card for one of your sets a little easier. Assuming you store all your PSA graded cards together, due to the slabs being designed to stack/fit together, and then separately store all your SGC graded cards together for the same reasons, as well as any TPG graded cards you may have as part of your sets.

Just some food for thought.