View Single Post
Old 01-05-2005, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Default Who collects what?

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I find it frustrating to need a few high priced cards (which I typically have little interest in) just to complete a set. So I do not attempt these. Instead I collect cards representing those involved with occurances in baseball. Such occurances include persons associated with the reserve clause, acceptance of negro leaguers in MLB, milestones of achievement, and other groupings. These assemblies have led me to considerable reading and have yielded identification of numerous players whose accomplishments are easily missed.

Where possible I organize these cards by year of occurance, however, some groupings are best defined independent of years. Examples of the latter are members of the 3000 hit club, 4 HR/game, 300 wins, etc.

If you are not totally bored with this yet, here are a few examples of accomplishments/players who I had overlooked prior to this collecting focus: Pat Seerey - 4 HR/game - a Bambino wannabe, who had one day of glory.
Bret Saberhagen, Slim Sallee, Matty - more wins than walks/season (20th century).
Bill Joyce - 4 triples/game.
etc.

Have fun, its only cards.