View Single Post
Old 11-29-2022, 02:37 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
I don't think anyone is necessarily disputing that the Wagner 8 absolutely did not or could not have come off a printer's scrap or salesman sample sheet in the 50s but absent the provenance it seems to be a leap to state that it is therefore possibly a counterfeit.

I have collected cards for my entire adult life...in dog years I cannot even count that high...I have never seen a counterfeit of a vintage card that was remotely good enough to fool me. I have never handled T206 Wagners but plenty of other expensive high profile cards. Obviously one could argue that maybe I have handled plenty of counterfeits that were so good that I could not detect them but I honestly doubt that.

I have no idea how easy or hard it would be to do great counterfeits of vintage cards, even today, let alone in 1950. Also have no idea if it is easier to counterfeit memorabilia than it would be cards. I know nothing about memorabilia. Just seems to me that if great counterfeits could be done today they would have been all over the hobby by now. I think when you have handled enough vintage cardboard you would not be fooled and something in the card would tip you off.
They could be made today. But it's still a fair amount of effort, and at least the paper stock isn't something you can just pick up at a craft store. (I tried a few, nothing they carry is the right thickness.)

And most fakers are lazy. Why spend a lot of money and effort to produce a card that will be closely examined, when you can print something that will pass from 10 feet on your home printer and sell it as "maybe a reprint" for stupid money and no scrutiny? And do that hundreds of times over.

But I do think Corey has a point, with a Wagner being a million + the attraction of making a great fake will draw someone with the necessary skills. And I have doubts that the examination PSA or SGC might do will be enough.