View Single Post
Old 01-15-2021, 11:39 AM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
The problem with this card is that it has two lives. There is the public life among outsiders who view this card as an iconic "grail" (which is a status I don't think many advanced collectors would agree with) and then there is the collector view who still see the card as iconic but also vastly over priced.

As Mantle-age fans exit the hobby there may be a reckoning ahead for the 52 Mantle.

If I didn't already have one I'd start making plans to buy the 51 Bowman instead. It is Mantle's actual rookie card and in my opinion a far superior image. The value seems stable as well or perhaps even primed to rise being it's an actual rookie card.
I don't own but but I would consider it a grail card. Not a grail in terms of scarcity but in terms of demand. Considering how many there are (in all grades) I do feel it is overpriced but apparently not as it continues to go up at every grade. Quite confident most of the collectors/investors buying them the last 5 years likely never saw him take an at bat.