View Single Post
Old 03-01-2023, 05:12 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Scott,

That's disappointing to hear they didn't encapsulate it.

Bob,

If you collect OJs, sometimes you don't have much of a choice in the matter of having a nice image. If you are trying to piece together subsets, then you are either going to have huge holes in the sets or you find fillers until a more acceptable card becomes available.

I've waited years for certain cards to become available and grabbed them as quick as possible because a decent one may never become available and I wanted to plug that hole for a subset.

Bottom line is that image quality is what you hope to find, but sometimes those cards just don't present themselves.

My recommendation is that if a skinned albumen is going to be attached to a new back, then have a conservator that knows what they're doing complete the work. I suppose you could trial and error it until you become proficient, but if that were my Mathews, I wouldn't chance it on my own.
Hey Fred,

Assume you were directing the Bob part to me. I agree with you wholeheartedly. I would much rather have a complete OJ card, but like you said, take what I can find (and afford LOL). If I come across a "skinned" or re-backed OJ card I need/want, I'll grab it. There's no telling when, or even if, you'll come across the same OJ card in complete "unskinned" or re-backed form. That was my point to the OP. These "skinned" OJ's, like his Bobby Mathews, definitely have OJ collectors who will want them. And like you said, and as I mentioned in response to the OP as well, I would probably leave the "skinned" OJ alone and as is, unless I knew someone that could do a good job of re-backing it for me. Never really looked into finding someone like that though, and didn't want to take the chance to try experimenting to see if i could re-back a "skinned" OJ myself. I actually don't own any "skinned" OJs, but do have some that are altered/re-backed, along with others that have had the advertising part of the cards cut off the bottom. Not perfect, but as you said, sometimes you take what you can get, and cross something off your want list that way.

i would hope/expect the OP will get his Mathews "skinned" OJ photo encapsulated as "Altered/Authentic", or something along those lines, by another TPG then. In the case of OJs, I don't think the price advantage that one TPG seems to have over cards graded by other TPGs is as noticeable or applicable when it comes to OJ cards. I don't feel OJ collectors really buy into that TPG crap as much. When you see a TPG grade an OJ card at a 4 - 5 - 6 grade, but the image is so faded and bad you can't even make it out, let alone barely be able to read the player's name, etc., it just shows how worthless their grading and opinions actually are. Great image and item on that Mathews "skinned" OJ photo, despite the missing backing.

Last edited by BobC; 03-01-2023 at 05:25 PM.