View Single Post
Old 05-30-2023, 09:17 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Personally, if I was just starting out, I'd stick to Topps' flagship issues. Nothing wrong with Bowman, Fleer, Exhibits, etc, but Topps cards from those years are the standard.

I like the 1958 Mick AS, 1955 Ted Williams and 1965 Mick and Willie cards mentioned above. Find one that is well centered with good registration (printing is sharp). I'd also add the 1962 Aaron and Mays cards. If you are looking for something a little different, then $500 would net you a very nice 1962 Manager's Dream (Mick and Willie) or a 1957 Dodgers' Sluggers (Furillo, Hodges, Campy and Snider).

When looking at comps, remember that all cards with the same grade are not created equal, especially as it pertains to eye appeal. Find something that is pleasing to your eyes.

And one more thing - If I was not comfortable identifying altered (trimmed, colored, etc) cards from a photo, then I would only buy graded cards if buying on Ebay, and from one of the big TPGs - PSA, SCG, CSG or BVG. If in person, I'd inspect both the card and the dealer. Don't buy anything from Craigslist or FB marketplace.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 05-30-2023 at 09:35 PM.