View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 11:20 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
What is unequivocal proof in this context? There are card doctors who certainly can mimic a factory cut, how can anyone say with 100 percent certainty it's original?
Theoretically the card could be factory cut, as JimB insightfully discusses. However, because of the likely ability of card doctors to imitate a factory cut, I think that in the absence of pedigree establishing that the card was in fact pulled from a Piedmont pack (or brought home by a Piedmont employee after the card was factory cut), I don't see how one could establish the requisite certainty to warrant a numerical grade. Going forward it will probably serve the grading companies well to know current hobby thinking when grading cards such as this that are not believed to have had a normal distribution. While I am only speculating as to what SGC knew when they graded this Plank, my guess is that had they known what has been revealed in this thread about Piedmont 150 Planks, they would not have given the card a numerical grade.

EDITED TO ADD that it will be interesting to see how the market prices this card. Will it sell for what an "authentic" would sell for, or will the slab dictate the price regardless of the correctness of the grade?

Last edited by benjulmag; 03-21-2012 at 11:25 AM.