View Single Post
Old 09-25-2006, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Default Tobacco company Photographers

Posted By: Joe_G.

Thanks again Barry, it is sometimes difficult to put these questions into words and that is why I end up writing a small novel to ask a question or two. About the Old Cardboard Brooklyn mini article, I'm the Joe in "Joe & Jay". Too many Joes on the board, especially those collecting Detroit material

The 1st question about OJs being a small piece of an imperial cabinet isn't so much a question as a statement. The OJs are in fact cut from a mounted photograph of which the shear size catagorizes it as an imperial cabinet. Right? Furthermore, we know developing these thin and delicate photos required skilled labor with less than undamaged crisp images easily possible if everything didn't go right. This could partially explain why many OJs have original photo blemishes.

About the cutting of the individual cards, I hope Goodwin didn't pay the cutter with his "specialized equipment" too much as they didn't practice much quality control I don't think the OJs were cut using any device that yielded 24 equal size cards. I envision something more along the lines of a simple paper cutter but I could be wrong (that would be a lot of manual labor).

Best Regards,
Joe Gonsowski