View Single Post
Old 07-22-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
Finally snagged the Topps Super. This one is a psa 5. Most of the Supers come in ultra high grades, but I was happy to find a more affordable mid-grade to scratch off the list.
Orlando---

I dearly love this card of Mick, ever since the first time I saw it. Whilst going through the set, I glimpsed the Mantle, and bought the set on the spot. It was July of 1972, at the Midwest Sports Collectors Convention in Troy, Michigan. I bought it from Bill Haber, a kind man who worked at Topps, and drew their cartoon artwork on the backsides. He'd brought a black satchel along with him, full of papers, letters, what have you, and about a dozen brand new gleaming mint sets of the '69 Topps Supers, I suppose to help fund his journey to Michigan from New York, as well as a few card purchases. That set was worth every penny.

Extra nice pick-up, Orlando. Nothing jumps out to me in a bad way about your fine card. The colors and picture registry are flawless. By the by, isn't it nice that you rarely have to be concerned with centering defects on these '69 Topps Supers!

Anyway, congratulations, bro. ---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 07-02-2017 at 09:31 PM.