View Single Post
Old 01-07-2023, 07:59 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubman1941 View Post
I do not think there are any "set" collectors anymore or even many "favorite" players. It seems it all revolves around "what can I get for this card?". Regarding TPG, I am done with that also. I did have a number "graded" but that was only because I wanted to be sure they were not fakes or reprints. However, one can not even trust that anymore.
No worries, I, and I am sure some others, still work on collecting sets, just not sets of modern cards. LOL

When it comes to collecting modern sets, I guess people can still try to collect some select subsets or specific portions of some sets or just specific players from them, but you're right, most younger collectors in the modern sector are not worried about or into collecting complete actual sets of modern cards anymore. For a large majority of them, it seems to be a lot more about the valuable inserts and limited edition cards, and what they can flip to make money off of now, or hopefully put aside to make a couple bucks off of in the future.

The most modern "sets" I've worked on include the 1997 Donruss Signature Series autographed cards, just the "red" version base autos, the 2002 Topps 206 autographed and GU subsets, and the 2003 Topps 205 autographed and GU card subsets. Trying to collect and complete some of those types of sets are similar to the trials and tribulations of finishing some of the more vintage and pre-war sets out there. But haven't really been interested enough in anything else coming out in the almost 20 years since then.

And I'm like you with regard to TPGs. I have only submitted cards to a TPG for grading once, and it was really to just authentic some 1889 Diamond S and Number 7 Cigar baseball cards I had gotten raw and that were in really poor shape, but wanted to make sure were real as I wasn't familiar with those card issues back then. Other than that, I do have many graded cards I've purchased over the years, but I've only bought them graded as there weren't any reasonably priced raw versions available at the time otherwise.