View Single Post
Old 02-16-2020, 12:55 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltOrioles View Post
Some random thoughts on why I’m enjoying this thread so much, beyond the fact it’s Orioles related.

While some items being posted could be classified as high end big ticket items, many are ordinary items that have meaning to the contributor. I’ve been amazed at all the interesting stories behind some items. Many, if not most, of my posts are items that my kids aren’t going to retire on, but that’s ok with me. I don’t get many opportunities to share my collection, with those who would appreciate it. I’m sure that’s the case with most of us.

Close to 40 yrs ago now, I got rid of most of my 1950’s – 1960’s Topps sets and yes even a 1952 Mickey Mantle, to concentrate on what had meaning to me, the Orioles. I’ve never collected with a dollar sign attached to items. If I liked it, I added it to the mix. Do I wish I still had that Mantle, I sold for $800 (a good price at the time)? Not for my collection, because it didn’t mean anything to me then and still doesn’t. I wouldn’t change a thing. I have Orioles collecting buddies that I’ve been trading and dealing with for years and years and can’t remember the last time money exchanged hands between us. Remember it’s just a hobby.

As I ponder what to post each day, I hope you are enjoying my items as much as I am yours. Mark, thanks so much for letting me connect with others that I probably wouldn’t have otherwise. I’ve even acquired some new items because of the thread, that I greatly appreciate. As we continue throughout the year, don’t be afraid to share an item, because you feel it’s not interesting enough.
Alan,

Thanks for your perspective on collecting. Mine is much the same as yours since I collect what I enjoy, not really what is valuable even though some pieces may be worth decent money to others. Take the piece I posted today; I don't think it's valuable, but I personally love the Rawlings Trade Digest.

While I enjoy seeing other individuals collection of cards, like Mantle, Clemente, Koufax, etc. I just doing get the same enjoyment of collecting them myself. I know I followed the Clemente thread all last year and was a great time seeing all of the items posted.

So thankful others are contributing to the thread and personally I love seeing all the great Oriole items posted. I'm glad that we can connect as collectors and help one another out.