Thread: Magie Error
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2002, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Default Magie Error

Posted By: James/jverri01

I think - and this is my opinion only - that many people confuse rarity and scarcity. For example, many people say that T206s are rare. I do not find this to be true. They are everywhere. What is "rare" is to find them in "upper" condition. Scarcity is a tricky one. Wagner, Plank, Doyle - all scarce, regardless of condition. Magie, though - I am feeling different about. Just the last Mastro auction alone had 3 Magie error cards (one graded, two pasted on scrapbook pages). I guess I am inclined to think that the Magie card really is not all that rare - because, clearly - it is not as scarce as was once suspected. What is rare - and scarce, as well - is to acquire the card as a 5 or better. I think this holds true pretty much across the board. Look at E90-1's. Now, I'm not a big E card collector, as we all know - but, look at the flood of them on Ebay recently. A year ago, everyone was walking around saying, "gee, E90-1 cards are TOUGH". Now - you can't turn go a day without seeing one listed, either online, or at a live auction. However - how many have you seen as a 6? 7? Better? I do collect E103's. I love these cards. Phenomenal pieces of art, as well as important aspects of baseball history. As "tough" as these cards are - you can find them in lower-end condition. SO, I guess my point is this: people abuse the term "rare". This leads many newbies to thinking that the card - in any condition - is rare. What I think is often intended - just misinterpreted - is that the card is rare if higher-end. However, even seasoned collectors misuse the term rare, when they should be saying "scarce". I do not see the Magie error card as being all that scarce. Rare - yes, if in better condition. Just my thoughts.