View Single Post
Old 03-16-2023, 05:04 PM

1978 Topps California Angels

There are 32 Angel images in the set, including the Easler, Verhoeven and Kirkwood paint jobs and excluding the Brett, Bostock and Nolan paint jobs.

The team photo was taken at Anaheim Stadium on either 8/25 - an off day when Gary Nolan (top row, far left) was acquired, and the club had a road game the 26th in Detroit.

I cannot place the small black and white image of Dave Garcia - his hat seems to have either an F or P on it, and a review of his minor league history doesn't reveal any club he played for which would have used either letter to signify its city or its name. He even played H.S. ball in East St. Louis, so that's out as well. Any help would be appreciated.

A number of images were taken in Oakland either 4/11-4/14 or 7/26-7/28: Ryan, Bonds, Miller, Etchebarren, Barlow, LaRoche, Hampton, Hartzell, Garcia, Jackson as well as the Ryan Record Breaker and the Ryan and Tanana league leaders. Barlow and LaRoche would have been take during the July series as they were not with the club in April.

Several pics were taken in Yankee Stadium either 5/3 or 8/12-8/14 - Humphrey, Chalk, Tanana, Bosley, Flores and Remy. Bosley and Flores would have had to have been taken in August because they weren't with the club yet in May.

A few were taken in Palm Springs Stadium in Palm Springs in the Spring of 1977: Baylor, Ross, Guerrero, Moore, Solaita, Mulliniks, Rudi, Easler, Kirkwood and Verhoeven (Verhoeven isn't conclusive but it's a reasonable guess).

Bobby Grich is tough - he was obviously photographed in the spring, but it wasn't in Palm Springs. There are no mountains in the background, he appears to be wearing his road light grays and, in any event, the grounds are too wide open and expansive according to any image of the field I've seen.

I have looked at images of all the other spring parks in the Cactus League from 1977 and have not been able to find a single clue as to where this image may have been captured.