View Single Post
Old 12-14-2022, 06:18 PM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
For the fiftieth time, there is no city in America where you can't get fairly healthy food for cheap as well. A smaller serving (if you are obese you are obviously consuming more than your body needs) does not cost more money. I am sure some obese people only consume water, but it's not most of them.

This is the second time you've tried to go this bizarre route. I am in favor of diabetics getting their insulin. I don't think it should cost a penny, it is a life saving treatment. I think it is a travesty that our system makes it expensive and people's class and job status is a factor in whether they are able to take care of their diabetes. My brother is a type 1 and relies on insulin to stay alive, I don't think whether or not he is employed or has money should dictate his survival, or for anyone else who has this disease. I am very liberal on healthcare. I am also aware of basic biology.

To be cognizant of the undeniable biological fact that obesity requires you to eat far more than you need does not mean I don't think diabetics should be given insulin or that they should have to go without if they are poor. How would it? Can we at least pretend to be reasonable? Are you just going to keep making things up?

Again, it is not more expensive to eat less. Vegetables are widely available and cheap. If you pound down unhealthy food in large quantity and get obese, which is how the vast majority of the obese get obese, that is their choice. Hopefully the lightbulb of basic human biology goes off. Eat too much, you get obese. Duh.
I live near Washington DC and there are known "food deserts" in low-income areas, specially in the Southeast quadrant. These are areas without grocery stores and access to healthy affordable food is few and far between.

But this is not just an urban problem, and it is a problem that affects a large swath of the American population.

Check out this map:
https://ubique.americangeo.org/map-o...-food-deserts/