View Single Post
Old 03-18-2024, 02:42 PM

This just in from Steve Hart - note his comment about having access to all the uncut sheets from that era...I will ask him about that.
--------

Hello!

On this particular wax box, the packs themselves are mixed with series 2 and 3 cards inside the packs. We identified the cards showing on most of the tops and all of the backs. They had different combinations showing (series 2 top, series 3 back……Series 3 top, series 2 back, etc). So it is not a box of mixed packs from different series like you mentioned, but mixed series within the packs. Just like the 1965 Series 2/3/4 box that was in the auction before this.

Now, this doesn’t happen very often. Packs usually only contain one series. However, we have seen everything happen. So first of all, the packs are 100% untampered with and not resealed. That I can see for myself. However, we also have access to all the uncut sheets from these years. We know how the cards would have been inserted into the packs once the sheets were cut down. And these packs are all consistent with the exact card that should have come off the sheet on top of the pack, matched up perfectly with the exact card that should be showing on back. The same was for the 1965 Topps series 2/3/4 box. This is knowledge that only a few advanced collectors have and we wont share it with the public. If we did, then that would be one more thing the people who reseal packs would know to properly put the cards where they should be on the top and bottom of packs they make. Pretty good knowledge this group of people share with us!!

As far as if I am calling it a frankenbox or a real issued box, there really isn’t anyway to tell. Now these in particular Im about 99% sure are real boxes. However, since Topps didn’t wrap boxes or use any type of seal until the early 90’s, there is just no way to tell. Now most of the time I can see that some of the wrappers in a box are a slightly different shade of colors, which obviously makes it a built box. Or centering on the wrapping is different. But if someone was to remove a few packs and replace them with a few different packs when we get into the 1970’s, its sometimes nearly impossible to tell.

When it comes to cello boxes and rack boxes, it gets even tougher. There is just no way of knowing if it is an original box or a box that has had packs removed. So all we are saying is that the packs in the box are all unopened and untampered with, but cant say for sure it is the original packs.

When you see a box that we have labeled FASC (From a Sealed Case), this is the only way we know 100% that the box has never been handled. The only way to get this put on the label is that someone has to give me an originally factory sealed full case. And then I am the only one who can open the seal. We get people all the time who tell me “I opened the flaps just to see what was inside”. Well, that’s no good. I have to open it. Or when they ship it here and the seals bust open during shipping. Still no good. Case has to get to me 100% sealed and only I can open it.

Hope this helps. Thanks! Steve

Steve Hart-Owner