View Single Post
Old 08-04-2022, 10:56 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Ball-Hitter View Post
Totally agree. The 5x7 cards were innovative and contain some real iconic photos. Some feel the Court Kings 5x7 came out at the same time or just before the regular, standard-sized 1984-85 base set. I think its fair to say they were "virtually simultaneously" printed. We know that they were produced (printed and cut) at the print shop in Cherry Hill, NJ in early 1985, during the spring... but that's its. Impossible (so far) to prove anything else. I've seen some early documents from the Star/Levin sale and nothing proves otherwise to me personally.

That said, I consider the #101 Jordan's rookie card. I don't care what you call it (RC, XRC, FPC, TRC, etc). We all know what it really is. Jordan's other two base set cards, the #195 Olympic card and the #288 ROY card are also special, rookie year cards. To me, that's Jordan's rookie year complement of cards. Closely following is the CK 5x7 and the Interlake Bulls 5x7 (not a Star product) IMHO.

Team Supers 5x7 and CK 5x7 are awesome cards with no real authenticity issues and some have amazing photos, like the Barkley below.

I also agree that the Fleer investors are the ones raising issues with Star. Given the FBI case, the auctions, the Schonco inventory, TPG efforts, etc, Star Company is as well established as ANY card produced before 1990.
I think the Lite, Crunch n Munch, Gatorade and Last 11 ROY cards are also good.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.