View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 08:12 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
So I am finally getting around to finishing the basement. As part of this, I am creating my man cave. My wife was the one who really pushed for finishing the basement. She always complained about the money I spent because it was all sitting in boxes. Now that it can be displayed, I think it will be easier for her to understand.
It's not finished yet, but I wanted to discuss whether anyone else here has done matting and framing themselves. When I lived in Maryland, for 2yrs in the late 90's, I had a play room and spent a considerable amount of money framing items. This time I felt I could try doing my own framing and keep the extra money to buy more stuff. I was inspired by someone on another website.

Tools:
Logan Compact Classic Mat Cutter approx $100(Cheaper on ebay)

Rag mat boards (100% cotton rag-highest quality archival board) $18 per sheet 24 x 48
Frames Prices varied - Found great frames at Ollies/Kmart/Dick Blick and others
Double stick tape
Artists tape - Similar to masking, but used to adhere prints to mat board.
Backing/Foam board.

So I assembled my supplies, plus a healthy supply of snacks and beverages, and away I went.

LMK what you think.

1966 Sport Magazine and 1986 AS program. Both are full magazines.

Batting Sequence photos of Gehrig and Ott. Both taken just prior to 1936 WS.

1951 Calendar with Cuban league Schedule card below it.

2 newspaper centerfolds. Top one is from 1939. Bottom one is from 1937.

Lou Gehrig day Ticket matted with a print I made of a Kreindler Masterpiece.

Gomez/Hubbell 8x10

Jordan cut Matted to 10x12.

Mel Ott signed Carters Kittens print. It read "To Sweets and his Triplets, may they all be safe, Mel Ott" Frame is 11x14

Mel Ott signed Pic Magazine cover. Signed to Chamberlain Brown, With best Wishes, Mel Ott. Frame is 11x14

Walter Payton 8x10

1927 Strength Mag with Lou Gehrig Cover and 1928 Mag with Ruth cover.

FYI: The most expensive frame of the above was the LG Ticket frame. It was $30 at Ollie's Outlet.

I'll post more tomorrow.
Mark
By the way Mark, I am sooooo going to be copying what you did with your Gehrig ticket. In fact, I already have the picture printed out and it will done tomorrow! I will also be totally ripping off Randall's 500 hr ticket idea, but with my 3000 hit tickets. That one will be on the back burner though because it's going in the downstairs hall and I haven't started that one yet (and the wife would like me to get the upstairs done first...go figure!)