View Single Post
Old 01-03-2023, 12:38 PM
Se@n Kel.ly

They are absolutely awesome. The cards are stunning, and I share your opinion that they don't seem to get the love of Topps cards from the same era.

1948 was groundbreaking as the first set to reintroduce cards to kids post WWII.

1949 added a bold splash of color and has my single favourite Bowman card (Satchel Paige).

1950 was the first set I built as an adult. Simple, elegant, sturdy, and beautiful, they're wonderful cards. Many people think the Jackie Robinson is his best looking card.

1951 took the formula and expanded the size and scope to new heights. Add in the Mantle and Mays, and it's rightly considered one of the best sets of all time.

1952 may have the best art on any set ever produced. The Mantle is my favourite card from his entire career (and I include the 1952 Topps, which I love).

1953 revolutionized card photography. It is the first set with full color photography, and the image/print quality is stunning.

1954 doesn't get enough love. The Ted Williams is one of the greatest cards ever made. The Mays is one of his best early cards, and I love Mantle's cheeky smile.

1955 is another card that doesn't get the love it deserves. The photos are beautiful, the color is bold, and the TV set borders are simultaneously modern for the day, and a time capsule for the modern collector. Shame about all the umpire cards though.