View Single Post
Old 12-01-2022, 05:31 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisFlood View Post
Certain region of the country? There are racist individuals in your area, and in every region of the country I have visited. Boston is the absolute worst. San Diego ranks high as well.
No area has an exclusive on racism; that was not my point. My comment was that a man of a certain age from a certain part of the country would have been exposed to that specific slur as the 'go-to' slur as he was growing up to a degree not found in other regions, and thus may have been more inclined to use it instead of some other derogatory term. In New York City, for example, large segments of the ethnic white immigrant and 1st generation populations would use their own slurs in their native tongues. My mother was one of them: she used the Yiddish version because it was what she was brought up hearing. The N word wasn't on her radar; I never heard of her using it until she was in the nth stage of dementia and spouting all sorts of craziness.

I have never been to Boston (not that I want to go there. I grew up a Knicks and Rangers fan in NYC: as a young boy I thought the actual name for the town was "Bostonsucks" because that is the only way I ever heard it said).

I did not encounter much racist stuff in the four years I spent in San Diego, but I was in La Jolla, a coastal college area. East county was another story. I did hear quite a few racist and antisemitic comments from some of the folks from those areas.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-01-2022 at 05:34 PM.