View Single Post
Old 12-01-2022, 07:14 AM

I don't see anything wrong with having any player's memorabilia in one's collection. As has already been noted, history is made up of the good and the bad. Like the majority of us here, I'm terribly fascinated by a good story, and some of the most captivating tales involve heinous exploits. It's just a part of life. By owning anything related to a player of ill repute, it doesn't make anyone a terrible individual.

Now, if you happened to love and adore a Rae Carruth or an Aaron Hernandez and had a shrine of their memorabilia solely because of their off-the-field putridity, then I'd have a problem with you.

Putting it into a prewar baseball perspective, I'd have to think that a lot of people on the forum wouldn't mind some Marty Bergen memorabilia. None of them would want to own it to glorify his atrocities. Others will jump on the 2022 tolerance bandwagon with, "He was mentally ill. It's different.". Regardless, a shadow will permanently hang over him due to what transpired, and his memorabilia will always fall into this controversial category.

Lots of people here own Connie Mack memorabilia, yet his intolerance of integrated baseball and his infamous quote regarding Jackie doesn't seem to be brought up too often.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 12-01-2022 at 07:16 AM.