View Single Post
Old 11-29-2022, 09:03 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
If that is your definition, then none of the cards on his list after the top 3 belong. People without knowledge of the hobby have no clue what those cards are. They know Tom Brady or LeBron James but would never recognize their RCs. Same for cards like the Bird-Magic or the Leaf Robinson. His list is just a bunch of random cards.

Iconic is something that stands the test of time. Plank and Lajoie were iconic to the hobby founders in the 1930s. They were iconic to collectors in the 70s and 80s as 2 of the 3 most valuable cards in the hobby. If newer collectors don't bother to educate themselves about all segments of the hobby and its history, that is their problem, not the Hobby's. If you are making a top 10 list, all segments should be represented.

I bet if you showed people pictures of 4 or 5 Ruth cards and asked them which was the Goudey, most would have no clue. When a Goudey Ruth sells, it gets no publicity. The last time the BN Ruth sold, it set the record for the most expensive sale of a sports card. If that isn't iconic, then I don't know what is.
When I think of iconic, I think of the crappy collecting books I could get at scholastic book fairs in the early 90s. The cards there were not B&W. They all had color. Goudey Ruth was chosen, and Wheaties Gehrig, and T206 Wagner, and 1952 Mantle. It also had Cracker Jack. But it did not have strip cards. I'm not even sure Turkey Red was included. When I started getting Beckett, pre-1948 was not included. I didn't learn about E90 until much later, after college perhaps. I also didn't know about strip cards.

So when I think of iconic for those "not in the know," I believe there are many other millennials who saw those crappy intro to collecting books and could identify some important cards even if they couldn't name them. And if they had to choose B&W or color, they would choose color because that's what those scholastic books had.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 11-29-2022 at 09:34 PM.