View Single Post
Old 10-10-2016, 03:42 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedDane View Post
Larry, thats amazing - I'm sure your list of completed sets is pages long! Out of curiosity, where do you find your cards - especially from the more obscure sets? Are you trolling eBay, do you go to shows, or what? I am finding it harder and harder to find the stuff I am looking for on eBay (at reasonable prices) as I get towards more obscure/older sets.
I am retired, so I have extra time to spend on eBay. eBay does seem to be drying up somewhat, but I still find cards from my list. Being a member of an active trading group (OBC) has always been the key. When I find bargains, (cards I already have), I upgrade my sets, and then send off my duplicates (eBay pick-up last night 1959 Topps #561 Aaron All-Star card $3.99) I probably get three envelopes a week from fellow OBC members.

I've attended 4 of the last 5 Nationals (stayed home from AC this year) and we have a great 40 table monthly show here local. I know most of the dealers who set up at our local show, but like eBay, it seems I see the same cards collecting dust in their showcases, but once in awhile I get surprised LOL! Almost every month one of my dealer friends will say "Hey I've got something for you". If I hear of a show within driving distance I will take the road trip.

I also have "mail order" contacts and have built trust with several dealers, it's not uncommon for them to contact me.

Like Brian just mentioned, I "go-low", and always have since I started back up in 1988. Over the years a lot of cardboard has rolled through here, and by constantly upgrading, I've built up a nice collection.

I spend a lot of time with my cards, but that's what a hobby is all about, right?
Larry